Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Strategic Romance

Get it Right Spiritually
The turning point came after ten years of marriage. A bad business decision plunged us deeply into indifference and separateness, bringing us inches from marital collapse. Foreclosure and divorce were common words. Days before crashing, God's timing brought us to a church where over several weeks we discovered spiritual truth. We recognized the importance of including God in our relationship and how to engage in a personal relationship with Him.

Serve Your SpouseBefore I truly understood what it meant to serve Sheri, I would perform acts of kindness expecting something in return. For example, if I washed Sheri's car, I expected her to bake me chocolate chip cookies. Or if I went grocery shopping, I counted on a romantic encounter later that night. Even though my expectations were left unstated, there was an underlying hope that Sheri would reciprocate.Authentic servanthood means, without expecting something in return, persistently watching for ways you can love, assist, facilitate, support, praise, appreciate, protect and please your spouse —and then taking action.That's not always easy. Serving opportunities may come at inconvenient times and usually when you're not in serving-mode. You need to be in a my-spouse-is-number-one mindset. Remember, your spouse comes first; you come second.

No comments: